The principle that lies at the core of a masticating juicer is that of pressing the juice out of the produce by a fierce pressure. The process takes place in two stages. The first step includes shredding the fruit or vegetable to be pressed. The second stage is that of pressing. Now pressing can happen in two ways. A few masticating juicers use leverage to do so. The other type takes the help of hydraulics to press the juice out of the produce.
This pressing mechanism to extract juice has many advantages. Firstly it results in least oxidation of the juice that ensures a greater shelf life. It produces a pulp-free juice that retains good flavor. Moreover, these juicers help in preserving the living enzymes of the juice that is very healthy for the body.
The mastication juicers work in the same way as our mouth does while chewing the food. This enables an increase of glyconutrients that is able to escape from the cell walls. Tests have found that these juicers yield more juice than other types of juicing gadgets. So to make a glass of juice you will need to use less fruits or vegetable for these juicers compared to a normal one.
The mastication juicers have no match when it comes to grinding vegetable with tough fiber. They can extract the juice out of wheatgrass. The cutting blades of a centrifugal juicer cannot manage the leafy vegetables like spinach, parsley etc. The high speed and heat produced during juicing in a centrifugal gadget damage the nutrients and enzymes.
The masticating juicers are very versatile as they can grind any seeds and nuts. They can be used to prepare baby food, pasta, dessert, ice-cream and many more. The slower speed makes them handy to clean and maintain.
Masticating Juicers are of three types –
Single Cutter. It has stainless steel teeth embedded in cylindrical cutter. These teeth help to shred and chew the fruits and vegetables. The juice is then squeezed through a screen at the bottom.
Single Auger Masticating Juicer. This has an auger inside a conical shaped stainless steel sieve. This is very useful for juicing green and leafy vegetables and wheatgrass. When the food is inserted in the juicer the auger crushes and grinds it and then pushes it against the sieve and so the juice is squeezed out of it.
Twin Gear Masticating Juicer. In this kind of juicer, the food is passed through a small gap between two cylindrical stainless steel gears that spin at a low speed. This is highly recommended for health enthusiasts, raw food lovers and anyone struggling with ill health.
Single Gear Masticating Juicer
This is a very innovative approach to juice making. These juicers have a single gear or auger that crushes the fruits or vegetables that are put into the juicer in to pulp. It operates at a very low speed of approximately 80 ~ 120 RPM. The result is no risk of overheating. This also ensures least oxidization of the juice and minimal production of foam. It reduces the damage to the cellular structure of the produce. The juice that is squeezed out is rich in enzymes and nutrition. These juicers can really be your best friend at the kitchen.
- These juicers due to slower speed and minimal heat production have greater longevity than centrifugal juicers.
- The units are very quiet. You won’t hear anything beyond a grinding sound.
- You can use then to juice all sorts of leafy vegetables.
- These juicers are quite high in weight. This could range between 6kg to 10kg.
- You have to shell out more dollars for a juicer that give greater yield and produce healthy juice.
- Assembling these juicers is a little complicated.
Twin Gear Masticating Juicer
The edge that twin gear juicers have over other categories of masticating juicers is their speed. Here too you have the low RPM of 80 to 160 as other masticating juicers have but the speed is double due to two gears. It is especially useful if you juice large quantity of vegetables and fruits everyday. The two gears rotate inward and are fitted at a distance of 0.1 mm from each other. The action of the twin gear crushes the produce and extracts the nutrients, mineral and enzymes thoroughly from it. It also extracts the phytochemicals from the fruit and helps to retain the rich color of the juice.
- These units are very silent.
- The lower speed of the motor prevents oxidation of the juices.
- It also spares damaging the necessary enzymes present in the juice.
- The juice is free of any foam.
- The juicers are especially useful for juicing leafy vegetables like wheatgrass.
- The juice yield is higher than single gear juicers.
- Assembling and operating these juicers is slightly difficult for a beginner.
- The feeding chutes of these juicers are thinner to prevent fast feeding. So the user has to be patient while juicing.
- Juicing hard produce like nuts and seeds will be a little difficult.
- Some of these juicers are very highly priced. It can go up to $700.
- The units are too heavy and cumbersome to move around. The weight could be between 6kg to 12 kg.
The cutter in these juicers is cylindrical in shape and tapered at the end. There are stainless steel teeth across the length of the cutter. These teeth help to shred and chew the fruit or vegetable in a stainless steel chamber and the juice is strained out through a strainer below.
- These juicers are strong and durable.
- They are used in cafes and restaurant due to their strong built.
- They can be used to crush nuts to make nut butters.
- They can be used to make ice cream.
- They are pricey.
- They are heavy to carry.